Sunday, October 21, 2012

Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally

I would like to share an acronym mini-poster for helping with the order of operations.  I know that everyone is familiar with "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally."  In 4th grade, although the standards required teaching the order of operations, "exponents" were not part of the standards.  I always use "Protect My Dear Aunt Sally."  I have the kids pretend we are at the mall shopping and while we are in a store purchasing some items, someone is trying to steal Aunt Sally's purse outside the store.  We can't get to her in time, so we all yell, "Protect My Dear Aunt Sally!"  Silly, I know, but, it does the trick every year. :)
However, after I posted an Beginning Algebra Expression unit on TPT, I had a very nice lady ask me if I could make her a PEMDAS handout for her students to keep at the desk with them.  The rest of the story is history. :)  Please feel to click on the mini-poster below if it can be of any help to your students.



No comments:

Post a Comment