Saturday, September 14, 2013

Algebra - Patterns

I generally begin my year teaching place value.  This year I decided to mix it up a bit and begin the year with an algebra unit using patterns.  In fourth grade, this includes patterns with shapes, symbols, and numbers, and input / output function tables.  I wanted to begin the school year with something that would hook my students and allow every child an opportunity to feel confident about math.  Since they have been creating and finding patterns since pre-k or before, I figured this unit was a winner! 

 We have completed patterns about any way you can think of.  I created a algebra pattern unit this last summer that I am using.  It has made my life a bit easier.  

I created and included an input / output machine named Mumsford with this unit.  I am excited that my kids will finally get to meet him next week!  I placed magnets on the back so he can be placed on my white board and velcro on his hands and the coordinating pattern cards. 
I have included a color and black/white version of Mumsford in my unit.




If you are interested in viewing this algebra unit, click on any of the links below.


There are 93 pages, including vocabulary/word wall cards, the standard and essential questions, 4 daily review 5 Minute checks with assessment, an assessment used for pre and post assessments, activities, recording sheets, and answer keys where applicable.

The mini-posters give you an instant focus-walk bulletin board!








No comments:

Post a Comment